Sunday, April 17, 2016

"Southern fiction that takes readers to charming and oftentimes sinister areas of The South"

Writing a book is hard work; I'm not going to lie.  Marketing the book is even harder; I'm not going to lie about that either.  

One of the most common questions people ask is this: "what genre is it?"   

Okay, an easy answer here would be to give them a simple, one word response like "mystery, historical fiction, fantasy, horror, romance, YA" etc.  

For some reason I just can't do that.  Without fail, I stumble over my answer to this question  Every. Single. Time.  Why?

Well, as a reader, I am interested in all sorts of books.  For example, two of my favorite authors are Sarah Addison Allen and Clive Barker.  I love historical, YA, literary, horror, among othersYou see, variety.

So naturally when it comes to writing, a little bit of various genres begin to creep into my work.  My upcoming book, Perennials, is a novel that features a teenage protagonist and is set during a particular summer when there is a serial killer roaming about.  I think of it as a contemporary Southern fiction coming-of-age mystery YA/adult crossover novel that has the backdrop of a slasher flick.  LOL!

I like what I write.  I would read it.  I really would.  Heck, I would even buy it ;)    

Trying to sell it to other people is the trick.

There is one major thing that everything I've written so far has in common - the setting.  I write stories that take place in The South.  It is what I know.  It is a place that I love.  I love the quaint towns, the endless miles of farmland, the culture, the food, the pace, the weather, the history, I could go on and on. 

Here is a link to a Wikipedia article that describes Southern Gothic fiction.  The characteristics pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to my writing style.
  
A tag line that I recently came up with for myself is this:  "I write Southern fiction that takes readers to charming and oftentimes sinister areas of The South."  

What I write is kind of like, what if Nicholas Sparks and Stephen King wrote a book together?  


and called in Alice Hoffman to help.             

Oh, and Lauren Kate.
follow me on Facebook 
follow me on Twitter
you can buy my books here

No comments:

Post a Comment